Disclaimer :

The entire content in this blog is not fully written/authored by me. Most of them are referred from another source which may be in from anyone of the place like Facebook post, other Blog(s), Wiki, Whats-app/email forwards, you tube etc. I have tried my best to mention the respected source links (FB, Blog, wiki, you tube links etc) and also a courtesy tag too. Some of the very old posts may be missing them as they were all published when i started blogging and frankly speaking I wasn't fully aware of the credit methods, copyrights etc. Also my opinion on lot of this published posts eg (god, religion, political views) would have drastically changed now as I believe I have evolved at-least a little over the period of time with my experience and learning.

When I get time I will try to fully review the content. I'm trying this since 2 years (2015) and couldn't even succeed till now. Hope I will in the days to come.

About Me

My photo
My heart will never be free, To push aside the longings I still feel, My eyes will never forget, The fields of patchwork green Soft rain so real, In my dreams I keep searching For those paths I never find........... There're many suspenses,sorrows,surprises stored for the next minute in this world. Meeting you is also one such surprise i hope. I'm embarking on a journey with a hope on this surprise springing world. I believe that there are many pleasant surprises in store for your future.......!! ALSO I VERY MUCH LIKE, LOVE THESE LINES OF ROBERT FROST...WONDERFULL LINES....... "The woods are lovely, dark, and deep.., But I have promises to keep.., And miles to go before I sleep.., And miles to go before I sleep... !!"

Followers

Visitors

Free counters!

Monday, January 2, 2012

kuppathotti.com

Courtesy & Thanks to The Hindu (Source)

Online garbage disposal pays off

Register online, segregate waste at source, and someone will come once a month and collect it at your doorstep

A fortnight ago, 40-year-old Harini Thirunarayanan had a surprise visitor at her doorstep. It was a smartly-dressed young man with an electronic weighing machine who had come to collect her non-biodegradable garbage. Plastic bottles, milk packet covers, newspapers, batteries – everything went in. Ms. Harini was paid a tidy sum in return.

She is one of the 500 registered users of an experiment in social entrepreneurship that kicked off last month. The idea is simple: register on www.kuppathotti.com, segregate household waste at source, and once a month, someone will come and pick it up from your doorstep after seeking an appointment. For parting with their recyclable waste, which would have otherwise been Chennai Corporation's problem, customers get paid. The service is available all over the city.

Gone are the days when Ms. Harini used to carry thick bundles of old newspapers, weighing 2 to 3 kg, to the nearest scrap dealer.

Now, a professional executive comes over to pick up not just newspapers, but a variety of other things, including plastic bags. “I even get an electronic receipt through e-mail,” Ms.Harini says. “Many of the things that we earlier used to dump with the general garbage, we have started segregating.”

The segregated waste from each household is processed by Kuppathotti.com at a central godown and sold to various recyclers. Ultimately, she says, each one us needs to understand the consequences of our actions and be more aware of the environmental damage that non-biodegradable waste can cause. “We are even getting paid for it now. What more can one want?” she asks.

Joseph Jegan, co-founder of ‘Kuppathotti.com', says that the amount of recyclable items that he regularly saw inside Corporation bins drove him to start the website. “Besides, though my family was aware of the environmental damage of certain kinds of waste, our jobs in the IT sector did not allow us any time. We just dumped everything into one common garbage bin.”

He says some of his customers have already changed their behaviour because of the monetary incentive. “Many of them save milk packet covers and plastic bottles, for example. We are also planning to help in segregation and would soon be giving out enclosed bins in green, white and blue colour. The collection cycle also needs to be brought down to each week.”

Stressing the solid waste management has become a big problem in the city, Mr.Jegan says that ideally, source segregation must be done by the government itself. “It can be done. There are working systems in a number of European countries. But it would require sustained follow-up, adequate incentives and a citizen-friendly approach.”

But for the moment, his only request is: “Do not throw away your garbage. Dump it on us.”

http://www.kuppathotti.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your feedback's/comments are welcome. Will be posted after moderation.